Saturday 20 August 2011

On Poetry

I've never really been one for writing poetry. I enjoy reading it, sure, but never really seemed to be keen on writing it. I think, mostly, it's because your average poem needs rhythm and when I write that's not really something I focus on. I'm definitely more of a prose writer.

On the other hand, I love rhyming. I'll happily amuse myself on a regular basis by purposely rhyming sentences in conversation, either written or spoken. Or sometimes just in my head... I'm easily amused. This is no secret.

Rhyming, while often used in poetry, does not make something poetry. Like I said, it needs rhythm. A healthy does of alliteration and symbolism doesn't seem to go astray either. Bah! I just want to tell my story!

Anyway, the point is, I don't write poetry. Or perhaps didn't is more correct...

A few months back I penned a few short poems. They still predominately rhyme but, unlike other attempts at poetry, I also feel these have a sense of rhythm. Something my past poems definitely didn't. I don't really think they're particularly good poems but, for once, I don't exactly think they're bad either.

But hey, you can be the judge of that! Here they are for you to look at. And yes, a couple of you may have seen them before, but there's a new one down the very bottom.

In the dark of night,
And the light of day,
The entire world,
Shall stop to pray.


With their heads bowed,
And on folded knees,
They cry for heaven,
To hear their pleas.


As the earth around them dies,
They shout in desperation;
Please, oh god above,
Save us from desolation.

That one doesn't really have a title, but I like to think of this next one as 'A Single Moment'.

In a single moment,
Our eyes did meet.
A fleeting glance,
Our only chance.


In a single moment,
You cross the street.
A joining fated;
Our souls elated.


In a single moment,
Our lips tenderly meet.
A moment so tender,
To which we surrender.


In a single moment,
A feeling oh so sweet.
How I wish it could be permanent,
This single moment.

And that's it. I don't really know what to think of the first one myself. I just wanted to write something sort of... doomish (that's now a word) and this is what came out.

A Single Moment, however, resonates with me a bit more. I feel in life that it is those 'single moments' that matter the most. Sure, a whole lot of things might grow from that one brief moment, that one chance encounter, but in the end it's that moment we remember and that is most important.

And now, one last poem, fresh out of the oven, in that I just wrote it. In a desperate attempt to give this blogs title some vague sort of meaning, I present this:

Beneath the blue,
We wait for you,
Calling for you to come closer.


Sweet Melodies,
Stunning beauties,
Beckoning you to cross over.


Stranded sailors,
We're your saviours.
You'll come with us beneath the blue.


You hear our song,
It won't be long,
We'll make your desires come true.


Hands reach forward,
You come toward,
Longing to feel our sweet embrace.


Your minds are lost,
Leaving but lust.
Soon you'll vanish without a trace.


Sweet temptation,
Brings damnation.
You have become our mindless slaves.


We hold you near,
You have no fear,
As we pull you beneath the waves.


Your minds slows down,
We watch you drown,
And begin our feast when you die.


Blood dyes the sea,
From our frenzy.
On the sea bed, your remains lie,
Beneath the red.

I lied. This contributes nothing towards the meaning of the blog. If anything, it's inspired by the blogs title, nothing more.

So there we go; my most recent attempts at poetry. If you have feedback, leave it for me. I always appreciate it.

I think I might post up a CD review over the weekend, so catch you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment