Tuesday 4 October 2011

On Europeans and English

If there's one thing that amazes me, it's how modest so many Europeans from non-English speaking countries are about their English. I can't count the number of times I've seen a perfectly articulated post somewhere, ended with something like; "sorry about my bad English, I'm from...". Even when having a conversation with someone from one of these countries it happens. Part way through they'll apologise for their bad English, leaving me baffled about what part they think is bad.

Then you go and compliment them on their English. Some are in denial thinking you're just being nice. Some get bashful. Others get really happy that you think their English is good. In the end though, they're all still just so modest about it all. If I could speak a second language as well as they can, I'm sure I'd be showing it off. It's a skill to be proud of.

Another thing that fascinates me about this. Quite often, amongst all the posts in a comment thread or similar, these are some of the better written ones. On the other hand, so many native English speakers only manage to prove that they should have paid more attention during school. So why, when native English speakers are so callous about the language, do non-English speakers bother to apologise?

Is it a matter of respect? Do native English speakers take it for granted, while learners develop a respect for it through learning it. I somehow feel that Europeans must have a greater respect for language over all. It's not uncommon for many Europeans to be fluent in two or three languages, and to know enough in many others to get by. Most native English speakers can't really claim the same. Perhaps a greater knowledge of languages helps develop a greater respect for them too.

Anyway, that's just a little theory. I think it's interesting to think about, how the different approaches to a language could influence how someone treats it.

But to the Europeans out there for whom English is a second language; don't worry so much. In the majority of cases I've seen, your English is totally fine. Sure, it's not always perfect, but it's still often better than what a lot of native speakers produce. And when mistakes do happen, most of us understand that it's not your first language. You've got nothing to be sorry for.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Għoġobni dan ħafna. Skuża Malti tiegħi huwa ħażin.

    ReplyDelete